Three other people succumbed to injuries after a terror attack in Nairobi’s Eastleigh estate last night, raising the death toll to five.
Area MP Yusuf Hassan was among 13 people admitted in hospitals after they sustained serious injuries during the 8 pm incident outside Hidaya mosque.
In total 37 people sustained injuries, most of them minor ones like bruises and light cuts.
Nairobi police chief Moses Ombati said Mr Hassan was taken to the Aga Khan hospital with fractured legs and a cut in the hand and described his condition as “stable” .
“We have established that the explosive device used was a grenade. Witnesses have said that it was thrown from a white saloon car and we are now looking for the suspects,” he said.
Those injured were worshippers who were leaving the mosque after evening prayers.
Following the attack, police mounted an operation in Eastleigh which Mr Ombati described as a “general swoop” .
By Saturday afternoon, 200 people had been arrested, some of them foreigners who did not have documents to prove they had entered Kenya legally.
The scene of the explosion was littered with shoes and there were bloody stains all over.
Rowdy youth lit tyres on the Roads to protest the attack before police moved in and restored calm.
The mosque was barricaded throughout the night as crime scene experts took samples for forensic analysis.
The blast occurred two days after an improvised explosive device exploded in the same area killing yet another person and injuring six others.
The earlier blast on Wednesday happened near Joska supermarket.
Eastleigh has become the key target of terror attacks carried out by Somali-based Al-shabaab militia in Kenya.
More News under this Heading